Effective Date: June 17th, 2015
Seiko Epson Corporation
MOVERIO Apps Policy
All Apps to be published on the MOVERIO Apps Market must observe the policies listed below to maintain a positive experience for MOVERIO smart glasses users. Epson may change, modify or otherwise alter these policies in its sole and absolute discretion at any time, with or without notice to you. You must review this Policy statement on a regular basis to keep yourself updated of any changes. By using the Market after any changes have been made, you are deemed to agree to comply with, and to be bound by, the modified Policy and all such changes.
Article 1. Apps Information
Developer must submit the following information for each App, App update, and App upgrade being submitted to the MOVERIO Apps Market. The information will be used as part of the MOVERIO Apps Market qualification process by Epson. Incomplete submissions will be disqualified.
- App name
- Name of developer, creator or organization that developed the App
- Supported language(s)
- The country or countries where the App will be released
- Any age restrictions based on the content of the App
- Supported OS version
- Free or selling price, if priced
- With/without in-App billing
- The details of update or upgrade
- With/without export controlled technologies
- Contact information for user support (email address/webpage)
Article 2. User Experience
To provide a positive user experience, please note the following:
- No App should be targeted to children under the age of 13.
- App functions should be easy to understand and not hard to use.
- App should conform to the specifications presented at the time of release.
- Users must be able to easily uninstall or reinstall the App.
- App should not impact system performance.
- App should not impact the functionality of the buttons located on the MOVERIO controller.
- Any function which is not in the specifications should not run in the background.
- Apps users should be able to easily turn ON or OFF any push notification implemented by the App.
- Avoid creating any confusion between in-Apps money and real money.
- Developers must designate whether the App is suitable only for adult users or is suitable for all persons over the age of 13.
- If an App suitable for minors above the age of 13 provides for in-App charges, Developer will obtain express parental or legal guardian consent before an in-App purchase can be made.
Article 3. Compatibility with MOVERIO Hardware
MOVERIO smart glasses is unique hardware and Apps developed should meet the following requirements:
- Do not require any external storage or other removable hardware accessory.
- An Apps package should be 256 MB or smaller.
- The Apps screen size should be optimized for MOVERIO smart glasses' display size and resolution.
- Do not implement any functions that require Google Authentication.
- Do not require any functions or hardware accessories that are not supported by MOVERIO glasses.
Article 4. Safety Precautions
Users can move around while wearing MOVERIO smart glasses; however, it is not always recommended.
When developing Apps, give consideration to the points below for user safety:
- Do not create an App that would require use of MOVERIO smart glasses in a way that poses a risk of injury, bodily harm, or property damage to the user or to others. Apps should never interfere with the user's safety.
- When designing an App, consider carefully the visual display and usage parameters so the content does not obscure the wearer's field of view to create a safety hazard.
- Do not create an App that requires the user to run, jump, bicycle, drive a car or other vehicle, or engage in other sports activities while wearing MOVERIO smart glasses.
- If the App requires the user to move around or operate machinery, be sure the App does not distract the user from awareness of his/her physical environment.
- Do not create an App that requires the user to wear MOVERIO smart glasses in locations where he/she may slip or fall, such as on stairs or on uneven surfaces, etc.
- Do not create an App that would cause the user to operate equipment or use tools which pose a danger when wearing the MOVERIO smart glasses.
- Do not create an App that promotes use of MOVERIO smart glasses near hot surfaces, while cooking, or near an open fire.
- Do not create an App which includes high speed flashes of bright light or any other effect which adversely impacts the user's eyes or brain function.
- Do not design an App that requires use of the MOVERIO smart glasses next to medical equipment such as an implanted pacemaker or defibrillator as this may cause electromagnetic interference with the medical equipment or cause the equipment to malfunction.
- Do not create Apps that would appeal to users under the age of 13. MOVERIO smart glasses are not recommended for use by children under the age of 13.
Article 5. Environmental Usage Considerations
MOVERIO smart glasses is precision electronic equipment which must be operated only in specified conditions Apps should not encourage use of MOVERIO as follows:
- Outside of the hardware specification range: temperature 5 to 35 degrees centigrade and humidity 20 to 80%;
- In locations where it may be wet such as in the bathroom, at a pool, or at the beach.
- To view the sun through the MOVERIO glasses or through a camera connected to the glasses.
Article 6. Security Measures
Illegal software including viruses, worms, and Trojan horses may damage the MOVERIO smart glasses or the App users' valuable information. Do not transmit any functions, items, or data which may harm the users' devices, Apps, or personal data. The following items are forbidden uses of an App:
- Collect any information (such as user's location or behavior) without the user's express knowledge (spyware).
- Perform phishing to collect credit card information or passwords.
- Publish any App which has a system rooting function.
- Perform any act which has an adverse impact on the users' devices, software or network environment.
- Perform any malicious acts such as transmitting data or items without the users' consent.
- Implement any nuisance spam behavior such as repeatedly sending emails or data that are not wanted by users.
Epson recommends following best practices for the security of your Android App, such as the "Security Tips" found in Google's Best Practice for Security & Privacy, http://developer.android.com/training/articles/security-tips.html as a part of your App's vulnerability countermeasures. Upon publishing, check your Apps using antivirus software.
Article 7. User Privacy Protection
App developers should pay the utmost attention to protecting the App user's privacy. To collect user personal information, the App must notify the user about the type of personal information to be collected (such as location, usage behavior, etc.) for what purposes, and to obtain the Apps user's consent beforehand. Developer must not collect Apps users' personal information that falls outside the range consented by the Apps users, as set out in the MOVERIO Apps Market User Privacy Statement. It is strictly forbidden to release or disclose personal or confidential information such as credit card numbers, addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers or other information not publicly accessible.
Article 8. Intellectual Property Rights Protection
Do not infringe or encourage or induce infringement of intellectual property rights (patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, design rights, other rights or confidential information).
Article 9. Impersonation and False Statements
Do not impersonate. Impersonation includes representing that your App is developed by a third party or allowing a user to pretend to be someone else through the App. Never direct users to a fraudulent website by pretending to be a provider of other Apps or services.
Article 10. Legal Compliance
You must comply with the law where App is released. It is forbidden to provide any function or service that violates or encourages the violation of local, state/provincial or federal laws. You must follow applicable import and export control laws to regarding sales, distribution, or use of the App.
Article 11. Linkage to In-Apps Billing and External Apps
The billing function of the MOVERIO Apps Market can be used only when your App is sold on the Market. If you sell data or items in your App, you must implement a separate payment system in your App. Developer is solely responsible and Epson shall have no liability for any issues arising in relation to links to external Apps such as those mentioned below:
- Malfunction or problems arising from in-App billing or payment.
- Malfunction or problems arising from links to external SNS, such as Facebook or Twitter.
- Problems between users during use of the App.
Article 12. Content Policy
Epson content policies apply to any content your App displays or links to, including any ads shown to users and any user generated content it hosts or links to. Further, they apply to any content from your developer account which is publicly displayed in MOVERIO App Market, including your developer name and the landing page of your listed developer site. In addition, your App must comply with the following:
Sexually Explicit Material:
MOVERIO App Market does not allow Apps to contain nudity, graphic sex acts, or sexually explicit material. Child sexual abuse imagery is strictly forbidden. If we become aware of inappropriate sexual materials we will delete the App from the Market. If we become aware of content with child sexual abuse imagery, we will report the Developer to the appropriate authorities and delete the Developer's account.
Violence and Bullying:
Content which encourages the harassment or bullying of other users or which contains gratuitous violence is not allowed.
MOVERIO App Market does not allow App content or services that facilitate online gambling or games of skill that offer prizes for cash or other value.
MOVERIO App Market does not allow App content or services that encourage or promote terrorist activities or incite civil violence.
Discriminatory and offensive Expressions:
MOVERIO App Market does not permit Apps which express or advocate discrimination based on ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, or sexual orientation/gender identity.
Political, Religious and Human Rights Expression:
MOVERIO App Market does not permit expression of ridicule for political parties, individuals or political organizations. Apps may not promote violation of human rights or encourage ridicule or disdain of religions or oppression of peoples based on religion.
MOVERIO App Market does not permit descriptions of how to sell, acquire, make, use, or encourage using illegal poisons, illegal drugs, and the like.
Epson will not publish any App which violates the above policies. In addition, Epson will cancel any published App if any violation is found after publication. Further, Epson may refuse to publish an App which does not violate the policy but easily causes crashes or abnormal terminations.
Please check your App against the "Application Checklist" before requesting registration of an App and attach the Checklist to the registration request document.
These policies are incorporated into the MOVERIO Apps Market Apps Developer Distribution Agreement. Please also see the MOVERIO Apps Privacy Statement for MOVERIO Apps Market Developers.